Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Season is (Almost) Upon Us

It's almost a month till Halloween (a holiday I can't stand) and already I'm seeing Christmas (a holiday I absolutely adore!) in the stores!

The holidays are almost upon us. Every part of that makes me happy (-except the snow, I like snow about as much as I like Halloween).

Last year, I made a project that turned out very well, so I'm posting it here.  Every year, we find it a bit of a struggle to balance the fun of the season with the reason for it. We're out of the Santa stage at our house, and it has left a bit of a hollow spot which we parents try to fill up with the better, and real, reason for the entire Season. this project went a long way toward that cause.

Our Advent Tree

I found a tiny little (fake of course) evergreen tree, and made the ornaments to go on it. Here's how:

I found wood sticks at the craft store in the wood section and cut them into different lengths. The shape doesn't matter, as long as the ornament will fit a scripture reference. I painted them different bright colors. You could easily fit this project into any color (or shape) scheme to match the rest of your decorations.


When the paint was completely dry, I cut out slips of paper with the chosen scriptures on them and glued them to each ornament. 

Then, a little eyelet screw on one end (or you could punch a hole through, whichever fits your own design) to make a place for the hanger.

I used these adorable stamps to number each scripture for the day it was to be read.

When the glue and ink dried completely, I used clear varnish to seal each one. 
(Be careful going over the paper strips- some printer inks smudge very easily when you try to varnish.)


Our little tree sat on our entertainment center - which doubles as our mantle, since we don't have a fireplace. Every evening of December we read a scripture. Sometimes it only takes a minutes, sometimes we end up talking about what we read. Either way, it's a small reminder of what we are really celebrating - 
the birth of Jesus Christ, our Savior.

Here's the list of scriptures I used.  This list includes scriptures from the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ as well as the Holy Bible, since I am LDS. If you don't have a Book of Mormon, but would like one, Request a FREE copy HERE. Or adjust the list to include your favorite scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment