Friday, September 25, 2015

Anything boys can do, GIRLS can do better - AND in a skirt!

This morning while using my favorite procrastination tool (Facebook) I came across this post:

Hi Friends. I have this friend, ***************. And she has two beautiful daughters. Her oldest daughter, Matti, is in first grade this year. Matti is being bullied by others because she likes to wear bow ties and loves super heros. ******* & I are not ok with this. Will you post a selfie of you (or your daughter, grand daughter or girl friends) wearing your favorite super hero gear (or bow tie or anything else that's not "girlie but you love anyway) or doing your favorite non girlie activiy? Help us show Matti that it's ok for girls to like ‪#‎allthingsawesome‬! We love you Matti! You are perfect just the way you are! Thanks friends! Please feel free to share this post!
‪#‎bulliessuck‬ ‪#‎girlscantoo‬ ‪#‎superheros‬ ‪#‎ninjaturtles‬ ‪#‎showsomelove‬‪#‎hunting‬ ‪#‎fishing‬ ‪#‎keepfighting‬ ‪#‎likeagirl‬

So heres mine, Matti!

See this bed?

I built it! Not only that, I designed it!
Here's proof - this next photo is my driveway while we worked on building it.  Notice all the tools in that picture? There's a power sander (Riobi), a circular saw (Skil - the best you can have!), and a power drill and screwdriver (Black & Decker). I put the brand names in there so any guys reading this will know that I'm serious - I know my tools. They're mine, I didn't borrow them from a neighbor or my husband. (I don't think my husband has ever once used them.)



 After it was all built, we sanded, stained and sealed it. You can't see it, but theres a copy of an ancient sailing map that takes up the whole footboard. It's pretty awesome!

So after it was built and stained, we had to take the whole thing apart and drag it piece by piece into the house. Not easy, that headboard probably weighs 150 pounds!  Here's me putting it together in my bedroom. It doesn't really need those carriage bolts, the whole thing fits together like a jigsaw puzzles because I designed it that way - I designed it to be awesome! But the bolts are just extra secure.


Here's the finished bed!


So don't you girls ever let anyone tell you that something you want to do isn't "girly" enough, that it's not "gender appropriate" or that "girls aren't good at that sort of thing". 

We can do anything they can do! AND when we grow up, we can do it in skirts and high heels.  So the next time a boy challenges something you want to do, you just challenge him to walk ten feet in four inch stilletto heels. If he can't, or is too chicken to even try them on, then you just smile, nod and say "I thought so."

Then you go right on being your awesome super-girl self!

THERE'S NOTHING IN THIS WORLD YOU CAN'T DO IF YOU SET YOUR MIND TO IT!
SO YOU JUST SHOW THEM HOW IT'S DONE!
#LIKE A GIRL

No comments:

Post a Comment