Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Surrounded by Boys

I complain (a lot) that I am the only female in our household. Even all our pets are boys. It's just not fair!

I've come to grips with the fact that I will never have pink curtains, or rose floral wallpaper in my bedroom (which is actually okay with me, I'm not a big fan of pink), and that I will only ever buy frilly little dresses for other people's little girls.

I've come to terms with "fair's fair" on the toilet seat issue. What's the point of fighting it when I'm vastly outnumbered.

I've learned that there are some battles worth fighting - but fart humor isn't one of them. Boys are going to be gross no matter how hard I try to teach them otherwise.

I've learned that guys need guy time, and that I really don't like fishing anyway, so I don't need to go on fishing trips with the fellas. It's okay if I get a manicure instead while they're out playing with slimy things like worms and catfish. I will, however, happily cook what they bring home.

And speaking of cooking...

I have learned that trying to sneak a vegetarian meal past male carnivores is tantamount to high treason and sedition.  It could prove the overthrow of the world as we know it if there is a meal without meat involved!  I get away with it once in a while, but not very often.

Cooking bacon, however, proves that you CAN buy love...

So here's my manly-man recipe to share for the day.

(I found this online months ago, and I'll be darned if I can find the original site again. If this is your recipe, please let me know so that I can properly attribute the fabulousness and genius you so richly deserve for coming up with this!)

Moink Rolls

8 to 10 strips of thick cut bacon
1 lb. ground beef -
BBQ seasoning powder
1/2 pound brick cheese - whatever flavor you prefer, we use Colby-Jack
BBQ sauce - your favorite flavor
French's onion straws

It's easiest to roll this if you start it on a sushi-mat or waxed paper.

Lay out the bacon strips side by side, slightly overlapping.  Season the raw meat with the powder (we used teriyaki sauce instead and it was fantastic!) and press a thin layer over 2/3 the length of the bacon, leaving a few inches overlap at one end.

Slice the cheese brick into 1/2" square bricks and lay at the end of the ground beef. Roll up the meat around the cheese, using the overlap ends of bacon to seal it closed (Make sure to seal the ends of the roll, or the cheese will leak out). Put on a baking dish (ends on the bottom) and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Glaze with BBQ sauce (or more teriyaki sauce if that's what you used in the beef) and put back in for another 5-10 minutes.

Top with onion straws. Slice like sushi and serve warm.

I end up with screamin' happy boys every time I make this! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment